Are My Chakras Open?
How can you tell if your chakras are open? What does it feel like if your chakras are blocked? It can be difficult to know, especially if you are new to acts of mindfulness. According to chakra philosophy, we are spiritually and physically connected to (and part of) the Universe. When our chakras are open, energy and life force flow easily through all systems of the body. When one or more chakras are blocked, they stop energy from flowing through that area, and inhibit the flow to the rest of the body.
What are Chakras?
Chakras are the seven energy centers of the body. Chakra is the Sanskrit word for wheel, and each energy center should be envisioned as a wheel with energy flowing through and between each wheel. The chakra system is based on seven energy centers on the body.
The Crown Chakra, or Sahasrara is the highest energy center located at the top of the head, right above the forehead.
- Open: Enables you to reach a higher level of understanding and consciousness.
- Blocked: Leaves you feeling drained, unattached, depersonalized, and uninspired.
The Third Eye Chakra, or Ajna is located between and slightly above the eyebrows.
- Open: Enables you to envision the bigger picture and see their place in the world around them.
- Blocked: Leaves you open to acceptance of falsehoods and obsessive or intrusive thoughts.
The Throat Chakra, or Vishuddha is located at the center of the throat within the neck.
- Open: Enables you to freely speak their truth and find the right words to express yourself.
- Blocked: Leaves you unable to speak with genuine power, leading to feelings of being ignored or of talking with a loud volume instead of with truth and power.
The Heart Chakra, or Anahata is located at the center of the chest at the level of the heart. As the central energy center, it bridges the gap between the three high chakras (related to spirituality and understanding) and the three low chakras (related to materiality and existence).
- Open: Enables you to experience compassion, love, and empathy toward mankind.
- Blocked: Leaves you susceptible to loneliness and isolation, or to giving the wrong type of love. For example, continuing to give romantic love to someone who does not return it.
The Solar Plexus Chakra, or Manipura is located above the navel, at the solar plexus where the right and left sides of the rib cage meet.
- Open: Enables you to work collaboratively with others while confidently representing yourself.
- Blocked: Leaves you with low self-esteem and confidence and makes you question or dismiss your personal power.
The Sacral Chakra, or Swadhisthana is located a couple inches below the navel. It can be located by placing a flat hand so the pointer finger is on the navel, where the pinky finger lies is the sacral chakra.
- Open: Enables you to honor the existence of others and to discover your creativity and imagination.
- Blocked: Leaves you susceptible to addictive behaviors and unable to manage your impulses.
The Root Chakra, or Muladhara is located at the very base of the spine. It touches the ground when sitting on the floor with the legs crossed.
- Open: Enables you to feel grounded and secure in the world as well as connected to the Earth.
- Blocked: Leaves you feeling constantly panicked, even when there is no danger.
How to Open a Blocked Chakra
There are many ways to open a blocked chakra and return the flow of energy through the body. Perhaps the simplest way is to mediate. During mediation, allow yourself to become aware of each chakra, feeling the sensation of the body at each location. Imagine a light emanating from the blocked chakra and flowing through the body. Allow yourself to calmly release negative stored energies and manifest healing. Repeat this process each time you meditate until you feel the blockage resolve!